Thursday, August 4, 2011

Ramadan Kareem from the Good People at Baskin Robbins or Showtime or Fairmont Hotels

Four days into Ramadan, and I figured it was worth documenting that the commercialization of cherished holidays is alive and well here.

I've never had any real issue with the profiteering around Christmas, and I don't really have a negative reaction to the explosion of Ramadan-related advertising we've had over the last few weeks in the UAE, either. I know many Americans who disagree, finding the annual inundation of Christmas ads exploitative, soulless.

My feeling: Sure they're competing for our business foremost, but that happens year round. The optimist in me thinks that holiday advertising usually comes from a genuine place, IE the Post creative leads felt a childlike glee when they were writing the script for Fred to share his Fruity Pebbles with Barney in the spirit of Christmas. I think we get some of our best ads around the holidays.


The Ramadan hype is inescapable here like Christmas in the U.S. - in the mall eateries, on television where they're wishing you a Ramadan Kareem and promising extra-compelling programming to keep your mind off fasting, and at every hotel competing to have you celebrate Iftar in their lavish tents (like the one outside our apartment). Come enjoy the buffet filled with traditional Arabic foods (I tried Syrian Oozie on Monday) and smoke some sheesha for between 30-60 U.S. dollars per person.

So if you're the type who frets over the commercialization of Christmas or Ramadan, I'm pretty sure it's an Earth-wide phenomenon. In my opinion, you might as well let it roll off your back and enjoy the holidays, ya fuddy duddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment